Neil is a Partner and Head of our Family Department. He advises on all aspects of relationship breakdown, including divorce, children and finances. His clients come from all walks of life, from stay at home parents to captains of industry, high-profile celebrities and owners of family businesses. A career-high was acting for the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, in his divorce (a matter of public record).
Neil deals with the most straightforward to the most complicated cases involving Trusts and international issues, and has extensive expertise in advising on Pre-Nuptial Agreements and Cohabitation Agreements.
A member of Resolution and pioneer of Divorce Funding, Neil is known for his pragmatic approach and respected for his experience and ability. He advises clients on all aspects of the process and assists with ways to deal with the costs involved - using the law to unlock and protect clients’ financial interests. In this, he endorses the words of Lord Justice Thorpe “…where there is everything to fight for and nothing to fight with”.
When dealing with children related matters, Neil regards the children as his invisible clients. His aim is to protect their future through his advice, steering clients towards an outcome that leaves the family best placed to move forward following the breakdown of a relationship.
Neil is recognised in Legal 500 as being "one of the 'go to' men in the London matrimonial world".
Neil is also a Family Law commentator and regularly appears on LBC Radio on the Family Legal Hour.
- Acted for the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, (a matter of public record)
- Acted in a divorce case in the Bahamas involving substantial assets in different jurisdictions, working with local counsel in the Bahamas
- Acted for a party where the marriage broke down after just 229 days. All of the substantial assets were pre-acquired. A novel case dealing with a short marriage where there was no prenuptial agreement.
- Acted for cohabitee around cohabitation and prenuptial agreements where the partner was the daughter of a wealthy UK rich list family, worth hundreds of millions of pounds.
- Acting on a prenuptial agreement with a UHNW non-resident, involving both international and English Law
- Acting for a wife against a husband in a case of substantial non-disclosure, which went to a final hearing in which all wife’s claims were awarded in full.
- Acted for a mother in heavily contested Children Act proceedings, spanning over four years. Appropriate Orders were obtained for the mother at the end of a final hearing.
2016 - Present | Seddons, Partner
1988 - 2016 | B D Laddie, Trainee to Partner (until merged with Seddons)
"Neil Russell has a burgeoning and increasingly high-profile celebrity practice, with a relaxed manner that puts clients at ease. He instils total confidence" - Legal 500
"Neil Russell has become one of the go-to people in the matrimonial world and is now regularly instructed by top industrialists and politicians. They know they can rely upon his business acumen and common sense to guide them through the most complex of cases" - Legal 500
"Neil Russell has built up an excellent reputation and has become one of the 'go to' men in the London matrimonial world" - Legal 500
"He is becoming the “go to” man for all types of family law. His particular expertise is in dealing with the financial affairs of high net worth individuals. Because of his successes over the past few years, he has become much in demand" - Legal 500
"With over 30 years of experience, Neil Russell’s profile at the top end of family law continues to grow. He has a huge wealth of experience, commercial acumen and common sense" - Legal 500
"Well connected, with an exceptional ‘bedside’ manner which soothes and reassures any client however troubled and an eye for settlement on favourable terms, Neil Russell comes highly recommended" - Legal 500
Recent articles by Neil
Head of Family Neil Russell and Family Partner Victoria Sterritt comment in Edward Fennell's Legal Diary.Read now
Head of Family Neil Russell and Partner Victoria Sterritt are included in the 2022 Family Law Index.Read now